Monday, October 08, 2007

Semi-Final thoughts on the Xena Convention

Disclaimer: This will certainly not be the last time I talk about the convention (apologies to you who want to poke your eyes out after reading all this), but I thought I'd post some semi-final thoughts on the experience after I had a chance to sleep on it Sunday night....

I woke up with a horrific headache this morning. I figure the combination of air pollution, excess Adrenalin, lack of oxygen to the brain and eating too many pancakes contributed to the pain.....I'm sure I'll survive!

By the way, if you want to see a video on the Convention (and who doesn't?), go to http://www.dailyherald.com/multimedia/?category=1&type=video&item=41 as it has footage of Lucy talking and singing as well as pans of the crowd and information on the event (from the Daily Herald in Chicago Suburbs).

Facts & Figures & Random Thoughts:

1. I am NOT Argo WP's partner/grrrlfriend/ significant other/lover/gal pal/date. (Not that that would be a problem....except to our own partners...)Many people seemed to assume this to be true, as illustrated by our interaction with the photographer. He started to load our Lucy Lawless photo jpg's on to a disk when Argo informed him we needed TWO disks. He stopped, turned from his computer and looked back and forth at us. Argo and I had to work to convince him that we did indeed live in separate households and that we were not in fact a couple. (How's that for a change of pace--trying to convince someone the person you're with is not your partner? It was almost surreal.) We got a good laugh from the uber-nazi when we said our partners were at home, thankful NOT to be at the convention and NOT to have to have anything to do with Xena. (We did, by the way, get our separate disks. Thanks, Chris!)


2. I am truly an ignorant slut when it comes to actual Xena trivia.
...and, I know quite a bit. I was put to shame by about 85% of the audience. I'll have to work on that....I mean, these people know every teeny, weeny bit of minuscule trivia possible. There were times Argo WP and I would just look at each other in disbelief.

3. The "Lucy-Lawless-You-Have- Beautiful-eyes- Grrrl" really does indeed have beautiful eyes and I, too, would be having a moment complete with tears if Lucy had told me that. (But, Lucy's boob--which is real, for all you sick puppies that actually asked me that, and believe me, a lot of you non-Xena-type folks asked, was on ME, so my eyes can be crusty and red for all I care!!!)

4. I can't stop singing that stupid diddy that Lucy sang on stage--the one from the episode where she is dressed in nothing but whipped cream and a few strategically placed cherries (while jumping out of a cake as Meg, a Xena look-alike---don't try to understand if you don't watch the show...there are many Xena look-a-likes in the Xenaverse...go figure). I liked that Lucy explained that the word "bubba" in New Zealand means "baby" and that's what she was saying during the song, but I NEED to get that song out of my head!

5. Persons under 21 years old can't attend Lucy's concerts. I never thought about that until the "I have Joxer's Glass" Guy said he didn't attend the concerts because he wasn't 21. I guess that's the downside of performing in bars--your young flock can't join you. Well, my condolences to this fine young man, as I am sure he would have absolutely peed in his pants to attend that concert. (Thank you, by the way, to this young man, as I really enjoyed seeing him here and there at the convention. Thanks for being part of the 2% of men at the convention!)

6. Lucy has more upcoming roles in Battlestar Gallactica....but, we don't get that channel, so I've never seen her in that show. I may have to talk to the wife about upgrading our cable. Lucy indicated that she would like to dye her hair darker again but she can't do this due to her current role on BSG. (Lucy, do you think any of us care what color your hair is????)

7. Renee's hair is much longer than I could have imagined and it is very beautiful....but, I'm partial to the short haired-blonde Gabrielle. Of course, this may be the exact reason Renee grew her hair back out--move on from Gabby-dom!

8. I am going to have to start over and begin with Season 1, Episode One and work my way through the six years of shows. (Apologies to the wife about this.) I have to address my ignorance and besides, I want to take a closer look at the shows Steven Sears wrote. Thankfully, I will be able to do this at my own leisurely pace instead of cramming in four shows in one day.

9. My favorite Xena episodes (not that you probably care) include "A Day in the Life" (duh!), "You Are There," "Hooves and Harlots," anything with Callisto, the Valkyries trilogy, "In Sickness and in Hell," and anything with Alti. (I guess I like the shamans and comedies, eh?) The only episodes I really didn't like are "Married With Fishsticks" (UGH! but at least it was very creative) and that damned show ender.

10. And, finally....I will be sharing photos from others at the convention as I get them. After all, 97% of the audience had a better camera than me and thus they have super-great photos that I couldn't even come close to capturing.....

.....That's it for now....I have to go scrap book more pages in my Xena Scrapbook now......

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Re the under-21 age restriction: the Roxy in LA is an all-ages club.

    Her first concert was at the Roxy. If she appears there again there won't be an age restriction.

    ReplyDelete