Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spa Grrlz Prep for Vacation: Would you like a Manicure with your Fill Up?

Okay, so some of you probably didn't think I was serious about vacationing this year at the new local gas station. But, I'm telling you--this is the world's nicest gas station and it rivals any spa in the nation.

The photo to the left is technically not from the gas station--it's from our vacation at Miravel in Arizona. But, the gas station makes me think of the Tuscon spa, so I thought the picture appropriate. Those are real quail in the photo--don't you just love the little curly cue thing on their heads?? But, I digress...

My position regarding the "fabul-icity of this hot spot was solidified when I noted that the "Go Girls" in the Rockford Register Star wrote about the mecca of corner markets. (July 12, 07) "We were most pleased with the Shell...this place had everything you could dream of at a gas station....it has a very clean atmosphere inside, looking more like a casual restaurant than a convenience store." See? I knew I wouldn't be alone in my love for the new Shell Spa! Of course, I had a few moments of terror when I read the their diddy as I was afraid that the spa might "sell out" the days the wife and I are trying to vacation there.

So, here's what I'm thinking. We save up our money (don't buy any gas, for god's sake--it's too expensive and besides, we won't need any--the gas station is right down the street). We save up our calories so we can binge on Smoothies, Icees and flavored coffees. We go to Walmart and get new swimsuits (to wear in the car wash). We find dog sittings and then hit the road. I'm picturing myself on a massage table...right next to the cash machine. Ca-ching!

Speaking of vacations, my sister sent me a quick email about the family two week endurance run across the nation. Well, across the eastern portion of the nation. (She really she get her own blog. Her emails are very funny. Remember the blog about the broccoli? Priceless!) Forget picturing me on a massage table in a gas station: picture my sister traveling with her three daughters & hubby in a "rattle-trap" of a van on their way to a Nascar event. (Refer to the "spray painting snakes in the backyard blog entry" for further information on the relations.) When I asked what they did on their , she wrote:

"Here is our vacation in a nut shell:"
Drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, drive, - got the picture?!!"

They actually stopped driving long enough to see Niagara Falls, which is always a good thing to do. I'm all about famous tourist places. The wife and I stopped there once but we only peered over the railings from the American Side...and then we went and ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in Niagara. We are SO tourist-y. Traveling Sister writes: "We spent several days and nights checking out the Falls. Both Canadian and American sides. We went under the falls on the Canadian side and walked under the bridal falls on the American side. Very wet and cool. We also took the Maid of the Mist boat ride which takes you into the mist of the Canadian Falls." (I am SO jealous! I've never been on that infamous Boat! I'll be in a car wash pretending to be on the Maid of the Mist. I imagine that's not quite the same.) She added that her Eldest daughter liked the Canadian side better and that Eldest daughter has announced her intention of becoming Canadian. Well, she does like Hockey and the Canadians seem like a fun lot, so why not? I've got a passport....Oh, Canada!

They spent a lot of time in amusement parks (something I do not do unless lots of Dramamine is involved). Traveling Sister indicated that they also stopped at an African Safari--I didn't know that there were any safaris between New York and Illinois, but there obviously is as she writes, "some they say do not feed the animals by hand, but use the cup, yeah right."

If you've ever been to a drive-through safari, you know this is true. Those animals know you have food in the car and they are NOT going to read any rules, let alone follow the rules. "The deer thing tried to steal my cup (I won) and the buffalo had his head in the car again eating carrots out of our hands. The best was the buffalo or yak or whatever that was huge and had big huge horns. His head came in the windows but the horns/antlers did not fit in. There was some screaming going on then! The girls wanted to save the carrots for the giraffes and I just kept saying feed it so it doesn't eat me!"

Reading that sentence made me laugh out loud. I was very excited to find a photo of a buffalo sticking its head in someone's car window so I could help you visualize this moment. (I once had a hippo bite the side mirror of my mother's brand new car while in a wild animal park. Not quite the same as a buffalo head in the car but fun non-the-less.) I'm pleased to say the family has returned, no worse for the wear.....maybe they can come visit us at the car wash. There aren't any wild animals or roller coasters but there is plenty of Nascar stuff to purchase....

Just so you don't worry, I haven't forgotten about poop talk. I just have been distracted by work, gas stations and women's professional softball. (Not to mention Harry Potter. Dear god! Do you think I'll have time to write about poop when I'll be buried in Book Seven of Harry Potter-dom? NO! Don't call me on July 21st. Yes, I will be reading the last three pages first.) And, there's only a few weeks before vacation, so I don't have much poop time. But, trust me--I'm saving up...both literally and figuratively.....

No comments:

Post a Comment