Saturday, June 02, 2007

Softball Hangover and other musings
The wife and I have spent the last four of five days sitting in softball bleachers and I have to tell you: I have one serious softball hangover. I feel lost without a softball-related activity to do on this fine Saturday. (Rockford Thunder photos "gleaned" from thunderprofastpitch.com) We went to the promotional day, opening game, third game and fourth game of the season. For anyone keeping score, the Thunder swept the Bandits. Take that, Jenny Finch!

Just so we're clear, Lindsay Gardner is MINE. (Not in a weird, stalker way, but in a I'm her fan and you'll have to pick someone else to cheer for way.) She's number three-my favorite number AND she hit in the winning run last night AND she does weird things with her hair, so you know it was meant to be.

Friday night's game was really fun as "Bea Chick" was there, leading the cheers from the stands. I had forgotten her cheering prowess from the past and it was like a bad acid flashback hearing, "SHAKE THAT BAT AND BUST THAT BALL!" flying out of her mouth. Old memories from the "Ace of Diamonds" days came flooding back. The only differences at the Thunder game as opposed to "our" days on the diamond were that everyone was sober, none of us were wearing softball uniforms and none of us were pulling Mayflies out of our bras/hair/teeth/ nostrils. Bea remembered all the good cheers--one of my favorites being "Hit it, rip it, knock it around!" Bea brought out the best in the fans and I'm still trying to recover my voice. I think all that cheering (and staying out so late so many nights in a row--remember, I go to bed at 9 PM and these games went well past 10 pm) led to the dreaded softball hangover I am now plodding through. I will have many a story to tell about my sordid softball past.....

The only other highlights from the week were eating a moldy bagel & attending my neice's eighth grade graduation. No, I wasn't purposefully eating a moldy bagel--I was driving and eating at the same time (never a good idea) and didn't take a good look at the bagel when I pulled it out of my desk. It wasn't until I got to a stop light and looked down--and only after eating HALF of the bagel--did I notice the thick film of fluffy white and green mold covering the majority of the bagel. There was nothing I could do about the part I had already eaten, so I tried not to gag and tossed the rest to the birds. I'm still gagging about that one....at least I won't need an antibiotics for awhile....

As for the graduation, may I say there is not a more spirited group of people on the planet than 300 8th grade students. They are all about energy! We should have brought them all to a Thunder softball game--the stands would have BURST with all their enthusiasm. I needed a nap after being surrounded by such excitement....

Finally, the hair is all good, although the fog at last night's game kinda made it tough to keep my "Jackie Warner" 'do looking good. When I say it was foggy, I mean it was "rolling off the river where's the left fielder" kind of foggy. I thought they were gonna have to call the game on account of fog, but Lindsay saved the day with her RBI.
On a completely different note, I had to copy and paste this musing into the blog, as we are big Suze Orman fans. Who woulda thunk it? We sure missed the boat on this one:

In the Feb. 25, 2007, issue of the New York Times Magazine, financial guru Suze Orman revealed that she is a lesbian and has been with her partner, Kathy Travis, for seven years.

During the interview, which covered her latest book, Women and Money, due out at the end of this month, writer Deborah Solomon asked Orman if she is married, and Orman replied initially, "I'm in a relationship with life."

Solomon then prompted, "Meaning what?" and Orman replied: "K.T. is my life partner. K.T. stands for Kathy Travis. We're going on seven years. I have never been with a man in my whole life. I'm still a 55-year-old virgin." You go, Suze! We knew we liked you. You either love her or hate her. We love her. We even bought her book and CD. We are all about Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey. Show us the money! Um, but what's that comment about being a 55 year old virgin? Suzi, you're gonna have to explain that one to me....

...Back to us: Thank goodness we'll have a night at home. I'm sure the grrrlz (aka the dogs) will be happy to have us home for a change. They probably have "softball abandonment issues" since we've been gone so much this week. Maybe we'll take them along next week....maybe Lindsay can autograph Lucy's collar.....

No comments:

Post a Comment