Sunday, June 19, 2022

Day of Fathers

Ah, blog #2C of 16. Just one more blog to go after you read the final sentence of this particular diddy. 

I hadn’t planned on this entry to be this entry. But, seeing as it is Father’s Day as I sit down to type this, it seems perfectly fitting. I’ve taken the original Father’s Day post from a few years back and added a eulogy. It’s my blog, so why not?


I. Father's Day. 
Today' is Father's Day, which means dads of all kinds are being celebrated and/or remembered and/or scorned.
Good dads
Not-so-good dads
Great dads
Loving dads
Absent dads
Unknown dads
Want to be dads
Step-dads
Adopted dads
Working dads
Unemployed dads
Coach dads
Couch potato dads
Stud dads
Your dad
My dad.

There are Father-in law dads
Grandpa dads
Great grandpa dads
Brother dads
Uncle dads
Mom dads.

Father of our country
Father of the bride
Father knows best
God the Father.

Dog dads
Gay dads
Single Dads
Divorced dads
Quiet Dads
Boisterous dads
Cool dads
Nerd dads
Diaper changing dads
Dads in fancy offices
Dads in prison.

Dads are complicated.
Dad jokes are corny.
Dad status is not reliant on biology.

Bible dads.... Lots of Bible Dads.

Missing dads
Present dads
Military dads
Distracted dads
Attentive dads
Beer belly dads
Physically sick dads
Healthy dads
Responsible dads
Not-so-responsible dads.

Is your dad a caring dad
an abusive dad
a corny dad
a sleeping-on-the-couch-saying-he-is-watching-TV dad?

Perhaps your dad is a
hero dad
a long gone dad
Accepting dad
Spiteful dad
Funny dad
Famous Dad
Beloved dad
Tough guy dad
Pushover dad.

Father
Daddy
Dad
Papa
Pops
Daddy-oh.
Insert his name here.

Here's to your dad
My dad
The dad of your choice.














II. Eulogy
My father passed away during the height of COVID.
Not of COVID, just during COVID.
I spit on COVID for myriad reasons--
This being the biggest reason of all.
My father didn’t want any service or fanfare,
His Five Wishes were very simple and humble.
Because of COVID, his wishes came fully to fruition.
We honored his wishes without even trying,
as, like for so many others, COVID robbed opportunity to have service or fanfare.

Had I the chance to give a eulogy--and, I would have given a eulogy--
I would have used index cards
To ensure I remembered to mention what I wanted to mention.
I would not cry.
I’d read my index cards
Be proud
Be brave
Be humorous...
And then probably throw up in the parking lot after everything was said and done.

My father was a simple yet complicated man
Generous
Determined
A man seemingly of few words with so much to say.
Loyal
Hard working to a fault
Proud.

He projected an impenetrable exterior
Protecting a well-hidden tender heart.

A Formidable presence… Sarcastic, Reflective, Self-assured
Authentic.
Resilient.
Determined to understand things he didn’t understand.
Always right, even when not!

Those of us who knew him knew different versions of who he was--
After all, he was a son, brother, husband, dad
Uncle, grandfather, friend, long lost relative…
An employee, employer and boss.
A product of Arkansas
From poverty to riches
He brought the American Dream alive for our family.
His love of progress scored us the first microwave on the block
The first VCR of anyone I knew
Giant-ass speakers to best hear favorite music…
Shaft… you’re damn right.

A Ford man
Sporting a Torino as a family vehicle
Ensuring my mom looked sporty in her Mustang.
Trust me, she looked sporty.

He tried to teach me how to swim--that didn't go so well. 
He tried to teach me to bowl—utter failure on my part, not his.
He tried to teach me how to play the drum pad along to the Carpenters Greatest Hits album.
My dad turned down promotions so we could finish school where we started.
He quietly made sacrifices
countless times
So others could enjoy what he enjoyed.

While growing up, there were many times I did not understand him.
I always wanted to be like him.
I always admired, loved and respected him.

My father is not “gone”
He lives in my sister’s facial expressions
Her mannerisms
Her words.
Sometimes I look at her and I am blown away
How much she looks and acts like him
Without even knowing
Without even trying.

My father is not “gone”
He lives in my mother’s heart
In her stories
In her love of roses
In her bowling approach.

My father is not gone.
He lives in my sarcasm
In my workaholism
In my love of football
In my quiet sacrifices for the greater good.

My father passed away during the height of COVID.
Not of COVID, just during COVID.
My father didn’t want any service or fanfare,
Because of COVID, his wishes came fully to fruition.
Despite COVID,
Despite the passage of time
Despite the bizarre obstacles of today’s world
It’s not too late to honor him.

It’s not too late to remember him.
It’s not to late to celebrate him.
And for that reason, I post this entry today
Father’s Day.
I honor, remember and celebrate him.
Just as others honor, remember and celebrate their dads.




 










 

 

III. Fathers. 
Good dads, Not-so-good dads, Great dads, Loving dads.
Absent dads, Unknown dads, Step-dads, Adopted dads.
Working dads, Unemployed dads, Coach dads, Couch potato dads.

Dads are complicated. Dad jokes are corny.

Father, Daddy, Dad, Papa, Pops, Daddy-oh, Insert his name here.
Here's to your dad.
Here’s to my dad.
Here’s to the dad of your choice.

Happy Father’s Day to all, indeed.
*******************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment