Saturday, December 15, 2018

Champions

Here is the final chapter to this round's dog obedience adventures. How could I not finish the story?

We went to the final class as planned, filled with expectation of defeat. We prepared ourselves not to pass, satisfied with the amazing progress accomplished in the short time we were enrolled. The wife insisted Bandido would pass, but we both knew Rosita would not. She was a social butterfly, not a student of commands. Her personality plus would win her friends but her limited obedience skills would not win her an award.

In a stunning turn of events, Rosita became a doctoral candidate of obedience. The wife and Rosita entered the ring, prepared to run the gauntlet. I readied my camera, hoping no one would notice I was taking photos. Student and handler looked proud, ready to take on the commands as given.

My jaw dropped to the ground when the testing started. That damn dog was doing everything exactly as commanded. She heeled, sat, walked fast, walked slow, spun, waited, stayed and returned as requested. She did every single thing except lay down. She walked next to the wife with a heel of perfection.

I'm not sure who was the most surprised--me, the instructor, the wife.... or, Rosita.

Due to physical limitation, Rosita is unable to lay down on command. This technically is a problem in the world of obedience, as "down" is one of the commands. The instructor had Rosita sit on command and then circled PASS on the score sheet. She wrote, "looks cute!" and gave our party pup special dispensation due to physical limitation.

She passed. Not only did she pass, she was also awarded "Most Improved." A certificate AND a ribbon! The wife was giddy with delight.

This photo says it all. Certificate, ribbon, smiling wife and.... a stunned Rosita. Her expression is priceless.

I think it's important to note that the wife had never attended dog school before. I took our dogs. So, this is like a double-win.

I think it's also important to note that Rosita peed on the welcome mat on her way out the door. Perhaps she was giving a final "piss on you!" to those who did not believe it possible for her to pass. Sure, the wife and dog left me and Bandido to clean the mess. I see how they are.

Bandido and I had to follow this miracle of the Lord, which was a pretty tough act to follow. We didn't do as well as Rosita, but we finished with a passing score. I think Bandido and I were so distracted by Rosita's performance that we were off our game.

The wife has taken to calling Rosita "The Champion." It's been very humorous to watch the wife be so pleased with this raging success. Upon waking day after passing obedience class, the wife announced, "I hear The Champion is awake!"

It is noted that the dogs' skills have not generalized to "real life." That's okay, as they are both so much better on a leash (read: Rosita is better on a leash; Bandido has always been fine for me), both seem a bit more confident and a bit more comfortable. They still both freak out on walks when we see another dog. They remain tentative of strangers. All in all, it worked out handsomely.

I decided before the end of class that I wanted to keep taking Bandido to some form of training. She needs all the confidence she can get and it challenges her to go to class--she seems bored without challenge. The wife announced early on that she didn't want to go to any more training....

....but, that changed once The Champion passed the class. All of a sudden, the wife wanted to take The Champion for more training. Same class, more practice.

I'm still speechless. This from the lady who dreaded every week of class. Dreaded. Once the wife was handed that ribbon, she was sold.   Everything changed. Now she's talking about next session.

No decisions have been made regarding continued obedience training... but, I can tell you, if there is a ribbon involved, the wife and The Champion will be there. But, next time, they can clean up their own pee. They may be champions but we're no minions.
****************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment