Saturday, September 02, 2017

I'm sure the blog entries will sooner than not turn from the topic of the dogs but that isn't going to happen today. Paws up, beloved reader!

They say it takes two weeks to see the true personality of the rescue dog.

Two weeks has definitely arrived and they were right: we've got ourselves some feisty, funny, energetic, inquisitive, delightfully naughty-table-surfing part pups with lots of personality.

They have gained weight. Perhaps a bit too much weight. Hard to say. No more homemade food. I think we're going to have to walk them more lest we end up with two sausages on eight legs.

Bandido is DEFINITELY some kind of terrier as she is all about hunting unsuspecting bunnies in our back yard. We're talking CRAZED about the bunnies. I'm sure she has whiplash from me trying to keep her from chasing every bunny across the globe, with her never to be seen again. I've even seen her stand at attention and point while preparing to stalk/catch/kill the lagomorphs.

She won't be going outside without a leash, that's for sure. Even I agree with that.

Personally, I'm all good with it--I am sick of the stupid bunnies eating all our hostas and perennials. If Irish Spring didn't work, maybe a hunting dog will.

Here's hoping she likes to hunt chipmunks, too.

And, then there is Rosita.... the dog who is 100% going to poop or pee on the only carpeted area in the house if we let her anywhere near it. I can't blame her--I am sure it smells like our old dogs and rest assured that Freckles blessed that rug more than once. It appears she is marking her territory... but, maybe she sees the rug as one big lawn. I let them down there this morning as they were zipping around, gleefully chasing each other. I figured it would be easier to run on the carpet that sliding around the wood floors. Well, I was right--they did enjoy the zipping.

....but, then Rosita came to a screeching halt....

....and pooped. I've never seen a dog get into the pooping position so quickly.

It wasn't very helpful but I yelled out, "SHE'S POOPING!" It's not like I could pick her up and throw her outside. She was pooping, for Pete's sake.

The wife was not entertained... by me or the pooping dog. 

I do not for one minute believe it was the running around. It's the carpet. The few times they've been down there, they've excreted bodily "stuff" in the same place. I know Bandido is marking her territory but I think Rosita just sees as it as indoor grass. She hates the cold, wet grass. Carpeting is dry and nice and warm.

I have to admit: I'd prefer warm, dry carpeting to cold, wet grass, too. Maybe she's genius.

The wife is talking about ripping up the carpeting and having "wood-floor-looking-tiles" installed. I suppose that is a good idea--it would get rid of the "previous dog resident smell." The floor is a cement slab so tiles would be easy to have installed and make a lot of sense.

Of course, replacing the flooring is no guarantee the ol' pooping pup wouldn't poop down there but if she did, we'd know she thinks of it as a Poop-a-torium--it wasn't the rug. I hate to tell her, but tile will NOT be as warm, so it is to her benefit to stop excreting bodily stuff out of her parts lest she be chilly when we finally start sitting down there to watch TV.

I think the most surprising thing of this whole adventure is how much we'd forgotten what it's like to have young, playful, don't-have-to-pee-in-the-middle-of the night dogs. All of us sleep through the night. They don't have to go out as often to do their duty. They love to walk and they move quickly when doing so. (No more 35 minutes-for-half a mile walks for us.) They play and run around and wrestle and jump. They notice bunnies. They notice everything. We didn't realize how much our old dogs had stopped doing in their "old age."

Today, we are taking them on a road to see members of their "human" family. They've never been to my parents house, so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping poop-in-the-house is NOT part of the adventure. If so, I'm glad to report they have non-carpeted floors.

I also hope they stay off the tables. Table surfing is strictly forbidden when visiting others. Definitely not the behavior of good guests.

I promise to stay off the tables, too. Maybe they'll mirror my good behavior. 

If they were smart, they'd mirror what the wife does.

Hmmm. Come to think of it.... if I were smart, I'd mirror what the wife does.

At least I don't poop on the carpeting. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment