Saturday, June 20, 2015

Solstice Ponderings

Tomorrow is June 21st, making it the longest day of the year. Happy Summer Solstice 2015.

Although.....today might be the longest day of the year, as I had gum in my pants pocket and the pants got washed....with the wife's brand new pants....which are now sporting my gum. Long day ahead. My gum causes her great angst. I feel very badly and will certainly buy her new pants...efforts using ice, goo-gone and perhaps even some hot white vinegar or peanut butter are happening as I type. I shall stay far away and wave my credit card when approached.

Freckles Warrior Princess turned 105 years old yesterday. Well, okay--she turned 15 but she seems like 105. We celebrated the arrival of her 15th year with the consumption of a McD's hamburger (she ate it, not us). Although old and crusty, she keeps plugging along, kind of like a slower version of the Energizer Bunny.

When I pondered her 15 years on the planet, I realized that when she was born:
--9/11 had yet to happen.
--The world hadn't ended six months prior, not did the computers and electronics come to a screeching halt.
--Facebook, Myspace and Gmail didn't exist.
--The Dixie Chicks were still in the "red states" favor.
--I still had my appendix, I had 75% less tattoos and I was using a camera that required film and a pager at work. Cell phone? What cell phone? I had to go find a pay phone to return pages.
My, my, my--how much has happened in her tenure on the planet.

Freckles is a relic, a survivor, a mystery. How on earth this puppy-mill escapee is still alive--and managed outlive her younger sister--is beyond me. She must still have stuff to teach us. Thankfully, she hasn't been dropping any "marbles" lately, so that's an improvement. Unfortunately for her, it appears she may have some very serious tooth decay....and, that's gonna require attention. Her breath can curl your hair at thirty paces. We await the dog dental lady's call to learn more. The decisions will be difficult but we'll figure it out, one thing at a time.

Earlier in the week, we took a jaunt to Pittsburgh with the Gaybors. It was a deliciously wonderful time, filled with food and fun. Personally, I'm all about the food, as evidenced by gaining three pounds in one week. Let me tell you about the food. We ate what I am sure is the biggest pretzel I will ever see in my entire life; in fact, it was so big that the four of us struggled to get through this appetizer. I daresay it had enough cheese on it to constipate an entire third world country. The photo does not do it justice. The wife enjoyed perusing the food trucks and learned about haluski. We gorged ourselves at a Pirates baseball game and found time to eat at an Eat 'n Park--something of which I had never heard. I must say that my Eat n Park 1200-calorie sundae was delicious and it appeared everyone enjoyed their menu selections.

Perhaps you are not familiar with Pittsburgh. I certainly wasn't. We went there because the gaybors scored some kick-ass tickets to a Pirates game. Well, I'm here to tell you that if you have never been to this city, you should go--it is a delightful city with much to do.

If you steal this photo, please give me credit. Don't make me chase you down.

I don't know why I was surprised that Pittsburgh was such a great destination, but I was. I apologize to you, fair city. It's clean, so that's a plus. There's tons of history, 400+ bridges, pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey and three rivers. Three rivers meeting in one place! Everyone--except the one waitress we had at the Eat 'n Park-- was very nice. The scenery is very beautiful--I had no idea Pittsburgh is hilly. Such an ignorant flatlander am I.  The roads and bridges seemed very confusing, but I wasn't driving so I didn't have to sweat that. Don't get me wrong--it's not an island beach resort, so if that's what you're looking for, keep driving (and swimming, as the case may be). But, if you are looking for a place with good ethnic food, lots of sports, culture and history, this is a great place to spend a few days.

Well, all sounds quiet on the gum front, so I'm gonna take a chance and grab some breakfast..... Happy Birthday to Freckles, Happy Civil Union Anniversary to the wife, Happy Father's Day to Father John and Happy Solstice to All!



No comments:

Post a Comment