Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ode to MJagger

Someone said to me yesterday that people who say they are busy are actually not as busy as they think they are; when they look at the data (read: someone sits around and figures out what you do in a day), they actually find out that they aren't busy....I spit on their data. We've been getting up at 4:45 AM in an effort to squeeze 15 more minutes into the day. More Facebook time! 

Two big events are approaching: the wife turns 50 in a few weeks and MJagger is leaving our place of employment.  The wife will need medication to get through the birthday festivities; I'll need medication to deal with MJagger's resignation.

MJagger secured a new job in a different field, something that she's talked about for quite some time. Whatever the reason, she didn't take the leap until now. I am very proud of her for deciding to do something completely out of her comfort zone. It's a tough thing to do, but she's doing it and she's gonna rock it, by God. It's a new beginning for her. How can you not love that?

Of course, this means the of "training selfies."  How disappointing. For the past year, we've taken a selfie at every training we were forced--er, I mean asked to endure. That was the one big thing to look forward to when trudging toward the conference room. No matter the topic, I always knew there would be a selfie and a laugh. I'm taking applications for someone to replace her, but it just won't be the same.

It's been quite the ride, these past 15 years. She shot out two babies while at this job, She got married during the first weeks with the agency. She was there when there were goats in the building, busy peeing on the floor. She threw Freckles a puppy shower and was there when I picked out Lucy. I was there when she picked out her German Shepard puppy from a cardboard box. After Prom 2000 she was seen dancing in the cage (while wearing a dress, I might add). She's slapped me around in the football pool. We've eaten more pizza during work hours than should be legal. She served as my Straight of Honor. She was there when I purchased the wife's first "real" ring (and was also there to watch me throw it at the wife in a nervous frenzy--so romantic). We balanced chakras, ate at Rosas, wore pajamas to work, Who can forget the Professional wrestling, movies with the clients, seeing Wicked with work friends & spouses and....the infamous baseball game of which MJagger does not speak. For one birthday, she gave me a gift certificate to get a tattoo. THAT'S a true friend.

And, there was Madonna: Madonna posters, photos, albums, t-shirts and concerts...Drowned World Tour, Reinvention Tour, The Confessions on a Dance Floor Tour. Hard Candy Tour, MDNA, Madonna, Madonna, Madonna. We missed meetings at work just to have a chance to buy Madonna tickets on line. I can no longer think of a Madonna concert without thinking of MJagger.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Lady Gaga concert. That was a happening in itself. I have to say it was one of the greatest concerts I have ever attended. There were other concerts, too--Black Eyed Peas comes quickly to mind. MJagger loves music as much as I do. That's saying something. I know she wishes I would stop listening to bad country music. I told her that's what happens when you get old--you start listening to country. BTW, she's a HUGE Rolling Stones fan and has even done a 'sassy dance' with THE Mick Jagger. I've never danced with Madonna, so I am a bit bitter about this. Dammit, Madge!

In true friendship fashion, we've had some doozies of disagreements. That's what real friends are for. I don't need someone giving me lip service. I appreciate the blunt honesty she affords.  We didn't agree on things at work and that was okay.We certainly didn't agree on the infamous baseball outing. I embrace her strong opinions and her passion for what she believes.

Some days, I know she wanted to punch me in the throat. Some days, I wanted to punch her in the throat. In true friendship form, no throats were punched.

I have been walking around in a grumpy funk at work. My partner in crime will no longer be my partner in crime. Oh, I'll still see her, just not at any time during the work day. For that, I am sad. I'm not sure who will have the harder time adjusting.

Good news is that Madonna still has two more tours to do in order to complete her contract, so we'll have that for which to look forward. The football pool is just getting started and there will always be a walk or two as time goes by. I am confident that more pizza will be consumed, although it might need to be after work or on a school holiday. The wife and her husband get along handsomely and we adore their kids, so I'm sure an outing or two will happen now and again. We may have to do a little geo-caching--nerds in the great outdoors--and god knows the wife won't go see a super-hero movie with me, so I'll give MJagger a call.

I look forward to hearing about her adventures...and, adventures she will have!

I'll try not to whine and pout too much as she walks out the door.... but, I'll only remain composed if she promises to dance in the cage on her last day of work....

....and takes a selfie with me while in the cage. 
***********************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment