Saturday, August 23, 2014

Of Comics, Drafts and Bricks

TODAY IS THE DAY! The 12th Doctor makes his appearance this evening, as it's the day "Doctor Who" returns to the telly. As they say across the pond, "oh, the feels!" The DVR is set and ready for action.

In the waaaaaay-too-much information department, I would like to formally announce that I find myself this fine morning kicking off another round of menstruation. Being that I am 52 years old and have yet to miss a month, I find this to be some form of travesty. My eggs remain indestructible, my uterus in its glory, my cycle commencing on the exact day as anticipated. Somehow, I would think FORTY years of this nonsense would be enough, but I must be mistaken. Perhaps the baby Jesus is waiting for me to shoot out a baby before snuffing the menstrual fires. 

Tonight is my fantasy football league's live draft. I am not prepared. I did not watch one lick of the pre-season. I haven't read even a sentence of a football article and I'm not even sure my kicker's jersey is clean and pressed. Hell, I don't even know what the heck dish-to-pass I'm gonna bring. I'm trying to decide if it's genius or madness to go to a draft completely uninformed. Whichever, I know it will be entertaining. Maybe I'll take a kicker in the first round and REALLY throw people off. Pray for my uterus and my picks.

As for my trip to Chicago Comic-Con yesterday, I must say it was much more entertaining than studying for the draft. I walked around the convention with a stupid grin on my face the entire time I was there, as I was in my glory, surrounded by thousands of nerdy "friends." At first, I was too afraid to take photos, as some of the costumed attendees (or, better called "those engaged in cos play) looked too intensely intense to approach. I mean these people were hard core. Once I figured out they wanted photos taken, I started pointing and clicking. There are no words to fully and accurately describe Comic Con--it must be experienced. Upon my return home, someone asked me if I minded going without anyone. I didn't understand the question as I was with thousands of friends, many of who understood my stupid Doctor Who references. Where else can you walk by someone wearing a fez (or even find someone wearing a fez) and say, "I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool." Upon hearing this, they give you props for both the recognition AND using the quote. It was nerd nirvana. 

Here's a blurry photo of me with the tenth Doctor. 
My ultimate goal is to get to Comic-Con in San Diego as THAT is the mecca. You mark my words--I'll get there.  

Switching gears: the college of which I attended is tearing down the dorm I lived in for three of the four years I was at the school. I served as an RA in that dorm. I went to parties in that dorm. I played my drum set in that dorm. I threw parachuted army men out the top window in that dorm. I met the wife when I lived in that dorm. (Heck, I met my husband when I lived in that dorm.) I can't really write a whole lot of what went on in that dorm (that's classified information)....suffice it to say, it is beloved to me and the people who resided there over the years. (Perhaps some college dorm stories in a future blog. Perhaps. Perhaps not.)

Side note: The dorm is in such disrepair that I cannot find even one shred of an argument about why the school would revamp the place. No one has lived in it for years and years, it does not even come close to meeting today's codes and it's not the kind of housing students seek today. It needs to be blown off the map. I think we were too hard on it. I have no angst over the demolition of this building. No one can ever take away the memories of all the fun and friendship found there. Who needs the actual building? Just give me a brick and call it a day.

Once I learned they were demolishing the building, I decided I needed to own a few of the bricks--have a piece of history. The wife agreed to go with me on a covert brick-finding mission, which is intriguing, as one my construe the removal of bricks from private property as somehow less than legal. 

If I had been approached by legal authorities during this endeavor, I would have yelled, "My parents paid for part of this building and I'm getting some of their money back!"

I had many a fun memory while standing in front of that decaying building. I snapped a few photos to share with those out of town and then circled the building to take it all in. I spoke aloud as we meanders the perimeter, recalling who lived where, who worked the front desk, how many trip had been taken down that path to the cafeteria. No angst--just smiles and happiness. 

I must admit it is shocking to see how quickly something can fall into complete disrepair--even the pavement around the building was crumbling. 

We had to be careful when seeking a souvenir brick, as I didn't want either of us to have a brick plummet on top of our heads. (That would be an amazing story, but I think I'll pass.) The demolition has yet to begin, so bricks were not in plenty. Thankfully, a few full bricks were lying on the ground near the building. They called to me and thus I felt obliged to take them home. 

There is an excellent fund raiser waiting to be had via the selling of these bricks. Homecoming is just a few short weeks away. I know there are at least two dozen alums who would love to own an official dorm brick. The postage would suck but the memories would be worth it. I wrote to the school and asked if I could have some bricks and pointed out that I knew of many people who wanted one, too. I suppose if the school doesn't answer or declines, I will have to go on covert mission and secure bricks to mail to alums. I'd gladly do that. I'm sure they'd like tangible evidence that they got their money's worth--having a brick is one way to have a bit of that.

Just call me "The Ovulating Black Wolf Brick Ninja." 

Photos are SURE to follow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment