Wednesday, June 05, 2013

I'd like to say that I haven't blogged in a bit because I've been busy reading the new Diagnostic and  Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition...or, that I've been busy doing the artwork of which I have been commissioned to do....or, that I've been installing/painting/cleaning/weeding/changing/fixing something as part of a house project, but really....

....I've just been feeling too pooped to pop.

I haven't been able to figure this out, as nothing in my life has changed--I'm not working more, I haven't changed my diet or sleep architecture (how's that for a fancy way to say I'm sleeping good and following a sleep routine?), I'm not exercising more, I'm not doing anything differently, I don't have any new stressors.....

....then, I figured it out.....

(No, it's not my advancing age.  Shame on you for even thinking that.)

This spring was really tough on my allergies.  I'm not sure if the trees were bionically pollinated this year or what but man, my eyes were watering, my sinuses were screaming, my nose was clogging/running/boogering.  Mowing the lawn and weeding left me with horrible headaches and I just felt rather miserable.  Since I take my allergy pill at night, I thought maybe I should take it in the morning so it would "work" more while I'm awake.

Duh.  I switched my allergy pill to daytime and by Noon, my eyeballs are fighting to stay open.  Daytime somnolence created by a chemical zipping through my body. I never realized the medicine might make me tired because I was sleeping through it.

(If this is my biggest problem I have to deal with, I have got nothing to worry about.  I'm a lucky dawg.)

Allergy sufferers, feel my pain!  We unite in our watery eyes and boxes of kleenex.

I must say, my allergies have been much better since switching to the daytime but the wife says I'm boring because I'm tired.  Of course, my allergies might not be better at all due to the pills--they might be better because the bulk of the  tree pollination is behind us.

And, I might just be boring.

This leaves me with the question: should I change allergy pills? After all, ragweed season isn't far and I still clog up and feel miserable when mowing the lawn.  Ragweed just about takes me down every year.  (Not as badly as cats.  But, I can avoid cats.  I can't avoid ragweed in the Midwest.) I suppose I could go back to getting injections, as those worked like a charm.  I suppose I could try something homeopathic or "natural," but I'd have to find something that worked as good (or better) than the pill I current take and it would have an alcohol-free based tincture.  I could dress in a plastic bubble when outside or wear a surgical mask when mowing.  Scuba gear might work while weeding. I could pay someone to mow the lawn....but, I still have to go outside for walking, walking the dogs, picnicking, living.  I could sleep in a bed of ragweed every night and wait until my body gives up and embraces the goodness of the weed.  I could switch my med back to night time.  Or, I could just stay inside until the wind chill is below zero.

Three Hawk and Argo have offered some ideas that make sense and I've done some research that might lead to some non-medication relief.  You, dear minions of the Addiverse, are welcomed to offer your suggestions.  Maybe we could have a contest.  I'm willing to try your suggestions, as long as they are legal and don't lead me to flunking a drug test.

Until then, I think I'll be tired and boring.

Well, at least tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment