Saturday, May 11, 2013

Music to My Ears

I dedicate this blog entry to Ms. Oh.See.Bee.A in honor of her graduation today.  This blog is technically nothing about her, but it is her day and it is time for celebration, so I dedicate it to her. She is an English major, so it terrifies me that she reads this blog--being a "stream of consciousness writer," I do not edit for grammar, spelling, anything--it is written the way it comes out of my brain, with no regard to matching tense or correct use of punctuation. (Heck, I switch tense three times within a sentence).  Ms. Oh.See waited a long time to get that diploma.  I tell her it is well worth the wait.  She is an amazing woman.  I admire her, her effort, her success and her "freedom" from the past.  We all have a past, some more colorful than others....some more blurry than others!  (I wouldn't go back to my past for all the money in Madonna's bank accounts but I wouldn't change a thing. Just sayin'.)  Ms. Oh.Cee.Bee.A, you are a joy.  Embrace your day!  I post this at the approximate time of your actual graduation so you may feel the love from the land of which you are now free.  Cheers!

Last night, the wife and I went to the Carrie Underwood concert here in town.  It's always a bonus when the two of us can agree on a musician to see in concert....the wife has no interest in seeing Madonna and I have no interest in seeing her beloved soft-pop-rock of the 70's type shows.  It was the third time we've seen Carrie in concert, so you know we agree on this artist.  For the record, she sounded one billion percent better last night than she did the first two concerts and she sounded five bazillion percent better than she did on one of the recent music award shows. It was an enjoyable, wholesome, reasonably-priced event that actually started three minutes early.  Hmmmm, Carrie Underwood concert starts three minutes early....Madonna's concert starts 2.5 hours late.  Score one for Carrie.

Concert going over the years has changed dramatically.  I blame it on cell phones and ticket prices.  It used to be against every concert rule on the planet to take photos during the show--in fact, it would say on the ticket "no cameras, no recordings."  With the camera phone, that point is mute.  How can you ban cell phones? You can't.  So, everyone is taking photos.  Thing is, no one taking camera phone photos is in the here-and-now experience of the concert because they are too busy wondering why their camera phone takes such shitty shots.  They are texting photos, posting photos, sharing photos. I'm just as guilty as the next.  I'm busy trying to capture a photo and miss the experience.  I should just leave my cell phone at home and pay attention to the reason I'm there.  Here's a photo of the concert, taken with my camera phone.  We didn't have good seats, so Carrie was pretty far away.

She's blue.  I like this photo because I can say something clever like, "She's got the blues."  It also illustrates how far away we were from the stage.  Carrie was only a few inches tall. No wonder my camera phone failed me.

As you regular readers know, I love music and I adore going to concerts.  You know I don't mind shelling out a ridiculous amount of money to go to buy an album or attend a concert. To this day, I say that music saved my life.  (Okay, that might be a bit dramatic but it's basically true albeit histrionic.) There is something about seeing a recording artist or band live--it's an event, a happening, an experience.  I am all about having an experience. Some people/bands sound much better in life; others sound different (in a good way); some sound awful and should stick to making albums (although seeing an artist suck in concert is part of the concert-going fun).   Some performers tell a story; others stand there in the same spot and sing, nothing more.  Some concerts include light shows, fire works, confetti, flying stages (ala Carrie), surprise guests, flying drummers (Madonna) trapeze act (P!nk), full gospel choirs--can't get those things while listening to a CD at home.  (Geez, I'm dating myself here.  I'm talking about albums and CDs. No one listens to albums and CDs any more--they are plugged in to their MP3 players, listening to downloaded music.) Some artists can move you to cry along with your 10,000 new best friends.  I've been to concerts that physically hurt--the music was so loud that my chest was rattling with the bass and my ears felt like they were bleeding. I've been to concerts without audio-equipment--it was the singer and the guitar, 100 feet away.  Interestingly, I've enjoyed going to concerts where I couldn't even see the performers, as evidenced by my enjoyment of attending concerts at Ravinia.

This got me thinking about what concerts I have seen over the past few decades.  I challenge you to identify who/what was the first concert you attended.  (That's an easy question for me: Andy Gibb. Sheesh, that'll date me.)
What was the last concert you attended?
Who would you like to see in concert?
Who did you hate in concert?
Do you even go to concerts?
If you don't, why don't you?
Would you rather go to a sporting event instead of a concert?
How much is too much to shell out for a concert?
What is the closest you've ever been seated at a concert?
(Ah, front row for the Michael Stanley Band, thanks to Rollerskating Robert. Love that band, great in concert, simple show of singing and rocking.  Purists.) 
Who do you take with you to concerts?
Have you ever been to an outdoor concert while it was raining?
Did you ever sneak photos with a real camera?
(Do you even own a real camera?)
Do you want a story line with your show?
Do you want seats on the floor, near the stage, anywhere in the arena as long as you can hear?
Do you hate finding and paying for parking for a concert as much as I do?
How far would you travel to see your favorite artist in concert?
Do you expect them to sing their hits?
Will you be disappointed if they focus on their most recent music instead of playing mostly the hits?

So many questions, so much good music to enjoy.

I've never seen the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Nirvana, Prince, Michael Jackson, U2, Cheap Trick Rush or Brittney Spears in concert, so I lose big points for that. I win points for admitting I have seen Neil Diamond in concert...and, liked it.  I still have a shot at seeing some of those peeps, but my chances of seeing the Stones is growing smaller and my shot at seeing Michael Jackson and Nirvana is well past.

I can't help myself--I have to share a list of people/bands I've seen in concert.  It makes no difference in your life and it is certainly not profound to see someone's concert list unless it's your own.  But, a list might illustrate how much I really do love and appreciate live music.  I cannot even begin to compile a complete list, as I've seen more concerts than is probably legal.

Off the top of my head, with repeats not included (i.e. I've seen Madonna ten times) and no care for correct spelling.....I have thrown money, time and energy at the following acts/bands/performers.....

Andy Gibb, Chicago, Styx, Journey, Loverboy, Quarterflash, Motels, 38 Special, REO, Indigo Girls, Madonna, Foreigner, Leann Rhimes, Keith Urban, Scandal, Pat Benatar, Little Big Town, SheDaisy, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, Michael Stanley Band, Toto, Tracy Chapman, Johnny Clegg, Bob Dylan (yes, Bob Dylan), Dixie Chicks, Off Broadway, Bruce Springsteen, Sarah McLaughlin, Melissa Etheridge, Simple Minds, The Pretenders, Neil Diamond, Paula Cole, Scissor Sisters, The Bangles, Phil Collins, Genesis, Dwight Yokum, Suzi Boggus, The Judds, Wynonna Judd, Brad Paisley, Sugarland, Vince Gill, Jack Lambert, Dierks Bentley, Survivor, B-52's, Harry Bellafonte (now THERE'S A suprise!!!), Jane Oliver, Dar Williams (once when she was gay, once when she wasn't), Talking Heads, Jamie Anderson, Tret Fure, Cris Williamson, Suede, Grass/Food/Lodging, John Prine, Steve Goodman, Simple Minds, Sheryl Crow, Level 42, Technotronics, Amy Grant, Trish Yearwood, Bonnie Raitt, Natalie Merchant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Black Eye Peas, Fruit, Sara Evans, Chris Young, Jerrod Neimann, Sonia Leigh, Zac Brown Band, Hunter Hayes, Craig Morgan, Darius Rucker, Eddie Money (kinda-sorta--I made the wife leave, so we heard him but did not see him),  JoDee Messina, Lady AnteBellum, Lady Gaga, Little Big Town, Martina McBride, R.Kelly, Terri Clark, Scandal, Shania Twain, Thompson Square, Lonestar, Diamond Rio (how did R.Kelly get mixed in with the parade of country singers?), 69 boyz, KT Oslin, Patty Loveless, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tiffany (!!!), Hall and Oates, Holly Near, Susan Werner (a favorite), kd Lang, Kathy Mattea, REM, Joan Osborne, Elton John (who had a cold and sounded terrible) and a whole bunch of opening acts, local talent and festival performers that I could never recall, even for a million dollars.

The wife saw Rascal Flatts without me because it was the night before my first day of work at a new job and I couldn't stay out that late.  I was bitter but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I've seen Madonna the most (ten times, I believe), with the Indigo Girls a close second (nine times and counting).  I touched Terri Clark's hand from the stage and Michael Stanley dripped a drop of sweat our way.  We saw Tiffany performing at Woodfield Mall (how hilarious is that???!!!!).  Bruce Springsteen was by far the longest anyone ever performed--well over 3.5 delicious hours. I was stunned by the amazing prowess Brad Paisley displayed when playing the guitar and the BEP were way better than I anticipated.  As for Ms. Oh.See--I saw Survivor at our place of regent education, so that has to be worth something.

If you ask me the questions posed above, I will answer every one of them.  Until asked, I'll spare you--instead, I am going to go work out, eat some chocolate, listen to Carrie's latest CD and send marvelous wishes, love and light to a certain grrrrl in the land of Sunshine.  Congratulations.  May the announcing of your name be music to your ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment