Tuesday, April 26, 2011

 Rally Cap

Put on your rally caps, as the Warrior Princess is making a come back.

What a roller coaster ride we are on.  Buckle your seat belts and hang on.

After a horrible, horrible night of bodily functions spewing out into the night--all night, I might add--I took Freckles to the vet this morning, sure this would be her last day on Earth.  I came to peace with that some time in the middle of the night while standing in the pouring rain as she pooped for the eighth time--I just couldn't stand the thought of her being in such misery.  As much as that thought hurt my heart and soul (and my digestive tract--talk about poop), I made peace with it.  I had cried enough.  She had been sick long enough. Nine days of not sleeping (any of us--not even Lucy has been able to sleep) and shooting blood out of orifices not made for such was too long.  I agreed to one more day of testing and that was it.  No more.  I was tired of the roller coaster ride we were on and I knew she had to be tired of it, too.  I talked to her in the middle of the night, petting her stinky, wet hair, thanked her for all the joy she has brought me over the years....with that, she finally fell asleep.

Side note: I did think about the healing rain.  If rain is healing, this dog should be bionic.  It's been monsooning here for the entire month, I swear.  Seems she finds the time she needs to go out is the time it is raining the hardest.  Well, I enjoyed that rain last night and hummed Michael W. Smith's song while standing out there.  I figured being in God's favor while letting the healing rain fall down upon us had to be worth something.


When I dropped her off at the vet this morning, she looked pathetic, lethargic and not quite "in there."  I looked pretty bad, too.  I signed the dotted line and sent her on her way for liver testing and barium drinking.  Resigned, I went to work and tried not to worry. Not that you really need to know, when I am nervous, my feet and hands sweat.  I don't mean clammy.  I mean drip with sweat.  When people say they are dripping with sweat, I can shake their hand and show them I do, too.  I sweated a lot today.


The day dragged on but finally we got some results from the vet--the barium test didn't show any blockages or tumors or what not--it just showed that Freckles digestive system was moving very slowly.  Hell, we should probably be happy it's moving at all, with all the puking and pooping she's been doing.  The three of us went to pick her up and yip with the vet, who remains quite stymied.  Believe it or not, Freckles basically came bounding out, went after another dog in the waiting room and couldn't wait to get outside and pee in the rain.  She looked like a whole new dog again.  I don't know how being force fed food for a liver test and then force fed barium can do that, but she sure looked good.  The vet took a lot of time with us and showed us the x-rays.  Really nothing to speak of besides being so slow moving.  She offered to let us keep Freckles at the vet for the evening so we could get some sleep.  It was a no brainer--she was coming home.
 
When we arrived at home, Freckles started begging immediately.  She drank water, demanded treats, waited not so patiently for her boiled hamburger, knocked Lucy out of the way, just like a big sister should.  She got pissed at me when I tried to shove the pink antibiotic into her mouth.  In other words, she was back to her old, crabby self.

Tomorrow, we will get the results of the liver testing, but really? We don't expect anything much to be wrong with her liver.  If there is, we will deal with it.  If there isn't, we will be glad she is finally recovering from the hemorrhagic gastrointestinal thing. I remain cautious.  I want to get really excited and hopeful but we've been on this roller coaster for a long time and it's hard to get off.  Just when things are looking up, they've come right back down. I can't get off until the ride comes to a complete stop.

Thank you for indulging me in the opportunity to babble about my dog.  I know many of you are dog lovers and thus you understand the angst that goes along with owning them.  If your not a dog lover, here's hoping you get a dog some day.  If the wife can become a dog lover, anyone can. 

Keep praying, put on your rally cap and enjoy the healing rain.  The Warrior Princess is in God's favor.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment