Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Civilized Unfriending

We've had such the wonderful response to the announcement of our civil union--the emails are flying in, warming our little cockles in every manageable fashion.  In case you are wondering, my "Straight of Honor" and "Gay of Honor" and the wife's "Person of Honor" have all graciously accepted their roles.  (I am still waiting to talk to one more person to learn if she will take part in the fun. Please say yes, Culver Griffendorr! All you have to do is drag your husband to the event and smile a lot. Nothing else.  I swear. You don't have to spend money or sing or hold anything or do an interpretive dance. You just have to be you.)   I think about the picnic invitations all the time and am always busy creating them in my head and on the computer, so if I'm looking at you and it looks like I'm listening but you're really not sure if I am listening, I am here to tell you I am not listening.  We haven't gotten to any of the serious planning, as the wife is knee-deep in the semester and there are four zillion things that need to be taken care of (i.e. order heart worm pills and kibble for dogs, get new wiper blades for car, change Book de la Face status, get excited about parental units upcoming 50th anniversary) before I immerse myself completely in the land of blushing brides.

I'm all giddy and bouncing around, singing little happy songs.  It's very obnoxious.

We are trying very, very hard not to let "the others" poop on our parade, but this is very, very hard when one considers who "the others" are.  This is what we've heard from "the others:"

The silence is deafening.

Don't try and make us feel better by saying, "oh, maybe they just haven't gotten around to contacting you" or what-not, because it isn't true.  "The Others" are freaked out.  We'll give them time....but, I can't stand to see how sad the wife looks.......so...... 


I took things into my own hands. 

I took drastic, decisive action:   

I unfriended AND blocked "the others" from my Book de la Face page.

Take that, asswipes!

Isn't that HILARIOUS? All this serious angst and my course of action is to unfriend people!!! That is totally HILARIOUS!

I realize that deleting and blocking people on a social network is SOOOOOO seventh grade but it sure made me feel better.  That small, juvenile action brought happy, sweet bubbles of joy to my evening.  Unfriended and blocked. POW POW!

My silence will be louder than their silence. I giggle.

How can you not laugh?  I unfriended people in retaliation!!! Oh my god, I am in middle school! I actually laughed out loud.  Crazy as it is, that small action put a much lighter spin on everything.  I go back to being giddy and bouncing around, singing little happy songs, being very obnoxious. 

You know what? Forget you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_B9FCZJMA
I feel so much better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment