Saturday, August 01, 2009

Here's Your Cupcakes, Cupcake

I didn't realize it until this morning--I forgot to blog this week. Crazy. How did this happen?

In one word: cupcakes.

Now, you know I am ALL about the Lemon Cake, complete with Ode, but the wife....the wife loves cupcakes. She prefers a cupcake to a piece of cake any day. I personally think of her as a strawberry-rhubarb kind of pie lover but she has proven me wrong.

Just when you think you know someone.

I purchased some cupcakes this week from some bakery in an unidentified po-dunk town, via MJagger's co-worker. (The photo above is of the cupcakes, safely nestled in the frig. Don't ask why there aren't a dozen. The dogs ate them. Yeah, that's it. The dogs at the missing cupcakes.) MJagger has been babbling about these cupcakes for months; she's always telling me, "Addi, these are the best cupcakes in the world. THE WORLD! I want to be there when you eat your first one of these cup cakes." Her description left me just about breathless. She moaned when talking about the frosting: "The frosting--oh, the frosting! I can't describe it. It's not whipped cream. It's not sugary. It's kind of buttermilk...but better. BETTER! It's the most amazing frosting." The cupcakes were described as chocolate cakes with this white frosting...and more white frosting stuff in the middle....kind of like a Hostess cupcake.

Although they sounded delicious, I was kind of skeptical. After all, how good can a cupcake really be?

Because they did indeed sound tasty and because the family is coming over, I decided to order a dozen. MJagger agreed to take care of the ordering as long as I came to work and picked them up. That way, she said, she could watch me eat one of these things. "I want to be there when you eat that first one," she again reiterated. Weird, but okay. So, I go pick them up and she's serious--she wants me to eat one right there. I get out of the car and try one.

Oh. My. God. I have to admit, this IS the best cupcake I have EVER eaten in my life. Ever. I almost dropped my morsel of heaven but caught it (frosting side down in my palm) before it hit the parking lot pavement.

I am here to tell you that I would have eaten the thing even if it had hit the pavement. I would have scraped off the dirt and grass and even cigarette butts and then eaten it.

I called the wife and said, "YOU HAVE TO TRY ONE OF THESE CUPCAKES! I am on my way home." I didn't know if she'd think they were good and I was worried that I might have set her up to expect much more than might be found in these tidbits of cake and goo. I had to take them home because I couldn't leave them in the car while running all my work errands. I pull up in the driveway, hand the wife the box of cupcakes and drive off.


Um, this video has nothing to do with cupcakes, but I like it, so watch it after your done reading about these orgasmic cupcakes. I especially like the part where the butt sniffing happens.


I'm running my errands...,when only a few minutes later, the wife calls me. "Oh. My. GOD! This is the best cupcake I've EVER eaten!" she exclaims.

For the wife to call me about a cupcake, it must be a good cupcake. For the wife to rave about cupcakes is even more amazing. For her to say, "you know, my mother makes really good cupcakes....but, these are way better," is like saying the Pope isn't Catholic. The wife was so smitten with this dessert that she even posted that she "had just eaten the best cupcake ever" on her Book de la Face page. Made a big impression, I'm guessing.

In fact, she has been talking about those cupcakes ever since she ate one. She is cupcake obsessed. Upon completion of said cupcake, she announced that THIS is what she wants for her birthday. I might want home-made Lemon Cake with Blueberry but she wants these cupcakes. (I will ensure this happens. Cupcakes for everyone in September!)

When I told her I'd order a dozen, she told me "order two dozen--they'll freeze."

So, cupcakes have been consuming us while we consume them. I'm not sure my family will find them to be the best cupcakes ever, but I'm sure they will enjoy them....

....That is, if the wife doesn't eat them before the family actually gets here.....
************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Paula5:15 PM

    Because I wrote a half-assed cookbook, I feel qualified to tell you NEVER REFRIGERATE cake (or bread). It makes it all sad and dried out. But you know that now. (sigh) I've heard you should refrigerate cream cheese frosting, but if a cake has cream cheese frosting, why in heavens name would there be any left? Seriously.

    ReplyDelete