Monday, June 01, 2009

You're a Real Peach

I'll be commuting back and forth to Chicago this week, so I'll either be (a) in a car; (b) in a classroom, learning how to do my job; or, (c) sleeping. I'm not sure about the commuting part, but I'm all good with exercising my brain cells every now and then. (Well, I will be eating, too-- but, it will be while I'm in the car or in training. I don't think I'll be eating while sleeping, though.)

Hear that Rumble? No, it's not my intestines--it's the Thunder! The Rockford Thunder women's professional softball team is back on the field. You KNOW how much I love the Thunder. Yum!

(BTW, we profess our love to Coach of the Year Cheese ball Neighbor, who is on her way to softball glory--congrats and good luck with Thursday's game!)

We try to go to Thunder games whenever we get the chance, as it's great fun and it's always a plus to support women's sports (especially when such sports are in town). There is really no excuse--the field is right up the street from us, much closer than their last home field (of which I cannot truly call a field but more like a pit) and it's cheap fun in the sun.

We went to our first Thunder game of the season yesterday
-- turns out it was an exhibition game between the Thunder and Chicago Bandits. (Perky Potholder grrrl, where were you? We looked for your Sky Blue Crocs...) Quite to our surprise, the Thunder team was sporting throwback uniforms--of the Rockford Peaches--dresses!!! How awesome is that? Everyone should play fast pitch softball in a dress at least once in her life, I suppose. (I apologize for the poor quality of the photos--I took them with a camera phone and was shooting through nets and fences.) I thought it was great fun.

Besides the dresses, another bonus: getting to see a whole slew of pitchers in one game. In true exhibition style, each team had their pitchers play an inning or two and then switch to a different pitcher. That means we got to see Jenny Finch and Cat Osterman take the mound. Double Yum! You should NEVER pass up the chance to see either of these two women pitch, as they are literally the two best pitchers in the world. The WORLD! It's a double yum squared when they are pitching against each other. Always say yes to Cat and Jenny. We also got to see Cassidy Scroggins (hope that's how you spell her name), my favorite non-Jenny/Cat pitcher, hurl a few.

Hurl a few pitches, I should say.

The wife and I were very surprised that we knew only a handful (and that's stretching it) of the Thunder players. Let's see--Amanda, Jamie, Cassidy, Cat......that's about it. What happened during the off season? Guess I should pay closer attention. I'm sure it will be fine and we'll figure the roster out in little time.

FYI, the wife and I both have Thunder jerseys to wear this year, so watch out! We look like true fans....although, our jerseys are from last year and our two players are long gone. That's okay, we still look good.

At least we didn't buy throwback dresses to wear in support of the Thunder. I'm not sure I'd wear those to any games.....

........although I do have the legs to pull it off.

heh heh!!
*****************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Paula/potholder grrrrl5:24 PM

    I lost track of time/dates/crocs!! Crap, that would've been a fun game to see. Please sign me up for reminder calls/e-mails. That playing in a dress thing though? I can't get behind that. Also, I'm not a big fan of the pink mitt a la Jenny F. Sorry. Bandits are home this weekend, c'mon out, we'll buy the hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete