Sunday, December 31, 2006

A New Year, An Old Rivalry


How to tell if you're driving too fast:

Happy New Year's Eve 2006! Today finds me preparing for the big event tonight--no, no, not the New Year's countdown.... 

....the Bears/Packers game this evening! 
Yes, the final game of the regular NFL season features the Bears/Packers on New Year's Eve night. 

Being a Bears fan by birth and a Packers fan by circumstance, I am feeling conflicted. In fact, today when I ran to Walgreens, I had my Packers sweatshirt on while wearing my Bears coat. Go figure. I'm an insult to the true fans of professional teams. 

I like to think it's because I have the ability to rise above team colors....but, maybe I'm just not made to be a purist. 

We'll watch the game with Master Reiki and Blue Eyes. They'll spend the time eating the wife's crock pot-grape-jelly-and-chili-sauce-appetizer meatballs and I'll be eating chocolate. I have no plans of eating meat in 2007. I assume everyone will be wearing green and gold, as I believe this is a Packer's Party. I will gladly don my Packer gear but I'm not saying aloud for whom I'm cheering.

The Bears-Packer gig is one of the oldest rivalries in the league, so it's always a doozy.  The copious amount of alcohol consumed at the game will add to the athletically-motivated festivities and cheese-filled debauchery. We, party-goers at home, will remain sober, allowing us opportunity to eat more food and actually remember what the hell we did and who won the game

This is a very serious rivalry. I'm already exhausted. God help me if the Packers lose.....
Let me remind you of the wife's passion-addiction-fanatisism for the Pack. She's Cheeseland born and bred, so that means her blood is green (and gold, if she has the flu). Every Packer loss is like a personal tragedy. Every interception is like getting your eyes poked out. 

To illustrate my point: the first time I was with the wife's family for a Packer Game (on TV, mind you), I looked around and everyone was crying.....

Why? Because the new wide receiver had just caught his first touchdown in a Packer's uniform.

I am NOT making this up.
I am silent about my Bear-fan-status when visiting with the wife's family. It's easier that way. I put on some green and gold and go with the flow. I am truly glad to do so and am all good with cheering as the Pack wins another one. But, they know I am from Chicago. They know I am not born with green and gold blood. They know that I still reside south of the cheddar curtain. So...

...Christmas Eve 2006, I wore my Chicago Bears coat to the wife's family festivities. I proudly marched in, blue and orange fully on display. As soon as I entered the room, one of the young nephews looked truly horrified. His first words weren't "Merry Christmas" or "hello" or anything of a holiday greeting. His words, yelled with horror:
"TAKE THAT OFF!" He started crying. Dear god, crying over my coat!


I, being the sensitive type, responded by singing the Chicago Bears fight song. 

I saw more than a few shudders. I'm lucky most didn't see the coat until AFTER I had opened my presents.
To the left: We interrupt this blog to ask what has Freckles done with Santa and why is she smiling like that?

Back to New Year's Eve. Does anyone go outside anymore and bang pots and pans at Midnight? That was one of my favorite things to do as a kid. I'm going to try and talk the wife into doing that tonight. We must have some old pot that she doesn't care about. (I don't think I'll use her good cooking pots--what if she ever decided she wanted to cook something?!! Tee hee!!)I'll ask the wife to bang pots and pans outside only IF we are still awake at Midnight. I'm notorious for sleeping right through the New Year. I figure it will still be there in the morning, so I don't worry too much about it. I'm feeling lucky right now, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we'll be awake when the Time Square ball drops.... that's because that will happen at 11 PM our time. I guess we can't bang pots and pans at 11 PM. Not only would that confuse the drunks, it would be just plain wrong.  

As for me and midnight, my guess is that Lucy and I will look like this:
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz....

Happy 2007, friends of the addiverse! Go Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment