Monday, April 03, 2006

An Oprah Moment in REAL life!

I wanted to tell you about "Slim Jim Jerry" and related mental illness stories, but that will have to wait. Yesterday, I was part of a real-life Oprah moment and just have to share the story.

The wife and I returned to Cheddarland for yet another visit to the family. (Boy, they sure like each other. They are ALWAYS getting together, traveling across the great cheddar tundra. Thank god they have great food.) Anyway, when we walked in, the wife's brother (aka Tommy Hilfiger) grabs me and just about throws me into the laundry room. Strange but fun greeting. He hands me the camcorder and case and asks me to film a special event later in the day. All Tommy Hilfiger tells me is that he will be handing his dad a letter and he wants it on film. Sounds easy enough.

I try to get my coat off and here comes Mrs. Hilfiger. She, too throws me into the laundry room and says the same thing. I assure her I will do as requested and just ask that they let me know a few minutes before the filming is supposed to start so I'll be ready--for whatever it is I am supposed to be ready for.

The party goes on, the food is consumed, all is well in the world.

After dinner, Dad notices that Tommy Hilfiger is missing. Now, this guy doesn't usually notice anything, but he has noticed Tommy is gone. I see the wife's dad walking toward the garage--I guess to see if Tommy H is out there--Mrs. Hilfiger freaks and just about throws herself in front of dad and the garage door. I figure this must be the moment, so I throw myself into the laundry room (not as fun as others tossing me in there), get the camera rolling and take my spot. Tommy is enters from the garage and shooshing his dad to the kitchen.

The film is rolling. Dad is sitting in the kitchen, on a chair, holding a letter. The wife's mom is sitting at the kitchen table and all the kiddies are circled around. Dad opens up the letter and starts crying. I'm filming, filming--close up of the crying--zoom out from the crying--and he doesn't say anything but I keep filming. Tommy Hilfiger hands his dad what is obviously a car key. Dad hands the letter to the mom and she starts crying. More closeups. I zoom around the room--they are all crying (and they haven't even heard why anyone is crying yet). Dad is unable to read the letter out loud and mom has her head in her hands, not able to choke out a word, so Tommy Hilfiger reads the note to everyone. Suffice it to say he has just given his mom and dad a brand new car.

A new car, complete with big red ribbon on top of it--just like on Oprah or on TV!

Tommy noted that his dad had NEVER had a new car in his entire life and talked about the sacrifices made along the way. So, now dad had his own new Ford 500. Was I ever glad to be filming this moment!

It's one thing to see Oprah doing this kind of thing. It's another to see it in real life, with real people--people who are so humble they cannot imagine such a kind act and don't know how they will ever accept such a lavious gift.

Everyone piled out to the garage, jumping in and out of the car. More crying, more filming, more crying. A big red bow, for pete's sake! If this isn't an Oprah moment, I don't know what is. Tommy Hilfiger is a very giving, caring man and he has outdown himself.

I think the Dad slept in the car last night. Who can blame him?

No comments:

Post a Comment